Saturday, April 2, 2011

Internship End

Yesterday was my last day at my internship at Krupp Kommunications PR firm. Everyone was so nice! They had a little party for me with cookies and wine. I also received comp tickets to the new Broadway musical, "Sister Act." Which was amazing and so funny! They definitely took good care of their intern! I will be keeping in contact with them and hopefully when I graduate they will take me on as an employee.

I have learned so much from this experience, but it steams way beyond just the PR field. I learned that I need to stand up for myself and not feel that an intern is inferior to the rest of the employees. Demand that you learn exactly what you are there for and never allow people to use you. There are jobs that you will find yourself doing that you can't quite complain about, but you do need to keep your gut in check. If it doesn't feel right, then you shouldn't be doing it and SAY SOMETHING. I was fortunate to not run into any problems with my internship, but I could easily see how other companies could push their interns too far.

Just a little tip to all my friends out there going after their dreams. I am very excited to see what this summer has in store for me, because my journey is just beginning.

7 comments:

  1. That is so exciting that you finished! Congrats, Anyway I agree completely, PR is not only a career, but it's there to help you become stronger. People in the industry need to be tough, and not take anything personally. Even if that was the only thing you learned walking out of your internship, then you did amazing in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that someone else learned that they need to stand up for themselves as an intern. As interns, we are apt to fall into the trap of what can amount to an unpaid, underappreciated assistant. Some of us get lucky and only have to get coffee and lunch while some of us have to pick up drycleaning, take the dog to the groomer and go buy gifts for a baby shower. Interning is a great way to build skills and build some tough skin; a requirement in this industry. If you ask me, interns make the world go round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good experience at your internship. There are a lot of things to learn from the experience other than technical skills that I didn't think of going in. The way you learned to stick up for yourself or finding out other quirks of a career are all very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a lucky duck. i didnt get a party or any cookies when i left my internship. And im right there with you when it comes to the job. If you dont like it or cant handle it then maybe its not for you. I dont want to be another statisitic and want to work somewhere that reflects where i see myself in the future. If you cant see yourself learning and developing yourself in a job then its pointless to be working there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you loved your internship!
    I am so sad my last day is on Wednesday- and I have been there for now 8 months.
    I think internships are a great experience, and while we complain about the commute, and the lack of sleep, and being so busy, it is such a great experience. And obviously as it shows through you...you learn more than just professional experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am as nervous as I am excited about what lies in store for me in the future. I think our internships and our courses at Hofstra have prepared us for the real world. I blieve we are now all adequately prepared to be New York success stories

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to be celebrated for what sometimes seems like a thankless job. I got a couple little presents that I didn't expect but I thought it was the nicest thing. I know when I have interns I will treat them the same way, its nice to be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete